Monday, April 22, 2013

A New Journalist Approaches!


My name is Steven. People call me Toast, I don't know why but it sticks.

I'm a gamer that went to college because it was the right thing to do, the logical next step. I went to school doing gen eds for a while, not knowing what I wanted to do, then I'd go home and play video video games. After a while, I came to the conclusion that I talked too much, so I declared my major as Communication. After declaring a major and attending classes every day, I'd go home and play video games. I then got into the school newspaper. I had a real knack for it and I really enjoyed writing articles, so much so that I declared journalism as my minor. After declaring my minor and writing articles for the paper all day, I'd go play video games.


Are you seeing a rhythm here? I would go through my life, only half convinced that I knew what I was doing. Video games were always there for me at the end of the day. It wasn't until I got to the newspaper where I was writing various tech-culture articles that someone proposed that I write a video game column. Suddenly, I was getting feedback from all my articles from different people. Some of which I hadn't even told that I worked at the newspaper in the first place!

 What I'm telling you is this: I may be pretty decent at speaking, and I may be a pretty good writer, but what really gives me the drive is video game journalism. Those skills don't mean a whole lot if you don't have a passion for something, which I didn't realize I had until late in the game. That's okay though, because I'm here and I know I have good, thoughtful things to say about my hobby.

I hope you all enjoy my opinions and I invite you to think right along with me in the comments section or by following me on Twitter . I will do my best at posting daily, but if I miss a few days here and there, bear with me, I wont leave you hanging long. I have a full-time internship to work around at the moment, so I'll think of it as a challenge.

Stay Toasty!

1 comment: