Monday, April 29, 2013

Assassin's Creed for Dessert Again?


 I'll be the first to admit I'm a fan of the Assassin's Creed series, but when someone is flooded with something they like, they get a little tired of it. Too much of a good thing is possible. For example, "Pumpkin cheesecake again?"

The Assassin's Creed games are a lot of fun, but one has to wonder if an annual release is a mistake. I went a good two years in college without a job and because of that, buying Assassin's Creed Revelations was put on hold for me at the end of 2011. Another year rolls by and Assassin's Creed III comes to the shelves and I was then two games behind. Now I had two titles in the series on hold and they announced one slated for 2013. I was lucky to have a Steam sale with both Revelations and Assassin's Creed III and a good amount of free time to catch up, but I'm sure there are plenty of fans who haven't had the chance.

So far this may sound like a pseudo-not-really-a-problem type of problem, but there is more to my complaint. As someone who had played the original installment and waited two years for its sequel, I was blown away by the expansion of detail. The second game in the series was vastly superior to the first one and that is arguably why it got such good ratings. The series then on became an annual release schedule. The problem with this is that the innovations the developers make are much less noticeable and mind-blowing as the jump between the original and its sequel.

Sure, sailing on the ocean as a member of the Assassins sounds awesome (and it really, really does), but think about how cool it could be if they took longer to develop and innovate even further. I think the problem is that somewhat appeasing a mass amount of fans makes marginally the same amount money as blowing away the same amount of fans, but I don't pretend to be a marketing professional.
I love you guys, Ubisoft Montreal, but I worry for the sales of my beloved Assassin's Creed. If you see a kink in the chain, don't ignore it!

Stay Toasty!

No comments:

Post a Comment